August 10, 2016: Alex Marshall, the author of "Republic or Death! Travels in Search of National Anthems", has ranked Nepal's national anthem third in the BBC’s list of ‘Rio 2016: The most amazing national anthems’.
Describing Nepal’s anthem, he says-"Nepal’s isn’t your usual anthem. It doesn’t try to sound like a military march or a church hymn. Instead it sounds like a joyous Nepali pop song, the sort of music you hear blaring out of taxis in Kathmandu. It’s the only anthem normally played on a Casio keyboard, and it is so happy it’s somewhat unsettling to learn it was the product of a Maoist revolution."
The top 10 in the list are
- Russia, National Anthem
- Myanmar, Until the End of the World
- Nepal, We Are Hundreds of Flowers
- Israel, The Hope
- Kazakhstan, My Kazakhstan
- Brazil, National Anthem
- China, March of the Volunteers
- Mauritania, National Anthem
- Democratic Republic of Congo, Arise Congolese
- Paraguay, Republic or Death!