Holi is celebrated as festival of colours and triumph of good over evil. But did you know the harmful effects of those colours on your body especially skin.
The following table shows the chemical composition of the colours and their effects on health:
Eye Allergy, Puffiness and Temporary blindness
Carcinogenic (having the potential to cause cancer)
Highly toxic can cause cancer
Things to do
- Use Sun lotion on your face.
- Apply coconut oil over the area which is going to be exposed with colours
- Protect the area around the eyes by applying Petroleum jelly (Vaseline)
- Apply Petroleum jelly on your nails too.
- Gentle facewash and body wash all over to get rid of the color.
- After the shampoo, apply conditioner on the lengths of hair
- Apply either oil or moisturizer all over your body.
- Apply moisturizer even if your skin is oily as the colours make your skin dry and rough.
- Some people have very sensitive skin. It’s better to avoid the colours and play with water only.
- If there are any redness or itching after exposure to colour, properly clean the area and you can use hydrocortisone ointment (steroid).
- If the redness or itching doesn’t subside then consult dermatologist.
A version of this article appeared in http://eng.sagarmathasaptahik.com/Articles/view/3220